U.S. History » Growth of Suburbia|
Growth of Suburbia
Students will display their ability to understand how the culture of the 1950s was connected to the migration of people from the cities to the newly built suburbs. What government, economic, and social actions caused, or were effected by the growth of suburbs?
1. Students will be introduced to a sample regents thematic essay on the theme of migration in which they develop an understanding of the Growth of Suburbia and how it fits into this theme.
2. Students will read and judge the merits of a sample essay on the Growth of Suburbia as migration using a rubric. (This will act as a model for the Carousel Feedback activity.)
3. Students will compare their Guided Reading assignment from Homework to the PowerPoint lecture on 1950s Culture with a focus on preparing to write a short essay using the migration thematic sample task. (Show slides Baby Boom-Teen Culture.)
4. Students will rotate to read papers adn offer critiques according to the "Critiquing Essay Sheet." (Use Carousel Feedback as a method.)
5. Students will be introduced to the establishment of "gender roles" during the 1950s. (Two slides on "Well-defined gender roles.")
6. Play and interpret The Rolling Stones' "Mothers Little Helper.
HW - Rewrite your short essay using the critiques as well as infusing the new information on the positive and negative aspects of gender-roles.
5/22/09 - 11R HW - Guided Reading: Growth of Suburbia
(doc file - 36 KB)
Pre-Lesson Homework assignment that will prepare students to complete activities in class.
5/22/09 - HW - Mother's Little Helper Lyrics
(doc file - 25 KB)
Students will analyze the lyrics of this Rolling Stones song in order to discuss the reaction of some women to their role in society.
5/22/09 - HW - Levittown Article Time Magazine 1950
(doc file - 88 KB)
5/22/09 - HW - Baby Boom Article and Chart
(doc file - 39 KB)
5/27/09 - Suburbia: Short Video
(asf file - 7.41 MB)
5/27/09 - 1950s Culture PPT
(ppt file - 8.69 MB)
Lecture Notes on culture in the 1950s.
5/27/09 - Suburbanization Sample Essay
(doc file - 14 KB)
Students will read and grade this sample essay in order to recognize the qualities of a good essay.
5/27/09 - Thematic Essay Critique Sheet
(doc file - 27 KB)
Students may use this to self analyze their essays to match the guidelines found in the rubric.
5/27/09 - Growth of Suburbs Outline
(notebook file - 12 KB)
Mother's Little Helper - You Tube Video