The mission of the Hudson Falls School Counseling Department is to provide a comprehensive, developmentally age-appropriate and sequential school counseling program designed to foster student achievement and school improvement.
Every student will acquire the academic, career and personal skills to reach their highest educational potential, having the ability to successfully manage their lives as healthy, responsible, competent and productive citizens who respect themselves and others.
A comprehensive school counseling program is an integral component of the total education experience, providing the educational opportunities for intellectual development, effective communication, personal growth, and social responsibility.
The school counselors work in partnership with students, staff, parents, community members, institutions of higher learning and employers. These efforts are geared toward preparing students to become effective learners, to achieve success in school, to live successful and rewarding lives and to become positive contributors to our society.
HFCSD Comprehensive Guidance Plan 2019-2020(Printable)
Making a financially smart decision about post secondary education is extremely important. Below you will find links that will help you in your financial aid and scholarship opportunities.
The first step in applying for financial aid is filling out the FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The most important thing to remember is that the FAFSA is Free. If it is not free, it is not the FAFSA. Click here to access the FAFSA website.
What you will need:
- Social Security Number
- Drivers License (if you have one)
- Most current W2 forms (if you worked)
- Most current Federal Income Tax Return (1040,1040A, 1040EZ if filed)
- All of your parents income information
- FAFSA can be submitted after October 1st
HESC: NYS TAP
What is it? The New York State Tuition Assistance Program is for eligible NYS residents to help pay tuition at approved schools in NYS. The maximum amount awarded to eligible students is $5,000 per year.
Students can apply for TAP right on the FAFSA. Click Here to access the TAP website.
- Financial Aid Information: Sponsored by the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators. Links for virtually everything related to financial aid and scholarships.
- Office of Post Secondary Education (US Dept Of Ed – Financial Aid Programs)
For a complete list of scholarships you may be eligible for, stop in the guidance office.
- Dell Scholarship Program
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation
- Walmart Associates Scholarship
- Fastweb Scholarship Search
- ExPAN Scholarship Search via College Board Online
- College Answer
- Sallie Mae: Student Loan Marketing Association
- NYS Scholarships for Academic Excellence– Regents exam scores (Method A) are used for selection
Guidance Direct is a great resource for students and provides many useful tools to help in the career and college search. School ID Number is located in the Student Planner. The tools include:
- Interest Profile: helps students determine what their interests are and what careers go along with those interests.
- Occupation Search: allows students to look up careers based on education and skills needed.
- Resume Writer: Helps students to create a resume to bring to job interviews.
- Big Future allows students to look up occupations that interest them and outline high school courses that will help prepare for that career.
- CareerBuilder allows students to search for different occupations and it also has a live feed of jobs recently posted in the area.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook provides students with a brief summary of different careers, as well as provides educational information and the median salary.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Coolwork: Seasonal and outdoor jobs
- The Student Conservation Association Jobs & Volunteer Opportunities in Conservation
- Outward Bound Program
For students interested in joining the armed forces after high school these links may be helpful.
All students interested in joining the military must take the ASVAB: Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. Click here for more information on the ASVAB.
- US Army
- US Navy
- US Marines
- US Air Force
- US Coast Guard
- US Army National Guard
- Army Military Academy: West Point
- Navy Military Academy: United States Naval Academy at Annapolis
- Air Force Military Academy: United States Air Force Academy
- Coast Guard: United States Coast Guard Academy
- Marines: United States Merchant Marine Academy