Dear Parent or Guardian,
We have been communicating with our school community over the past few weeks as we have monitored the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). Our district leaders have been working closely with and following the guidance of the Washington County and New York State Health Departments, as well as the New York State Education Department.
It is important to note, while Hudson Falls School District does not have a confirmed case of COVID-19, in an abundance of caution we have made several decisions to help minimize the spread of the virus in our school community.
Parents and individuals that are not regular members of the school community will be asked to refrain from unnecessary visits to the school building. Spring Parent Teacher Conferences have been cancelled. Report cards and progress reports will be sent home with students. Any parent or guardian entering the building will not be allowed to the classrooms. If coming to the building for a health concern, we will have the nursing staff meet you in the office for medication delivery or have your child delivered to the office for dismissal. Parents or family members will not be allowed in classrooms or in the cafeteria.
Due to the cancelling of conferences, the following school scheduled will be followed for the week of 3/16-3/20:
- Monday will be an emergency closure. Students do not have school.
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday will be normal full days of school.
- Friday will be a half day, with students dismissed at 12 noon. Report cards will be sent home with students on this day.
We are delaying or cancelling after-school events on a week-by-week basis as we receive guidance from our local and state health authorities. We will do our best to minimize the disruption to the events and activities on which our staff work so hard. Please refer to the district website and social media accounts for updates on all of these closings and postponements as they are announced
As a reminder, many steps can minimize the spread of all respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19, according to the New York State Department of Health:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Heavily soiled hands should be washed.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
The local health department will notify schools if and when a school must close due to COVID-19 and when a school can reopen. Schools are not expected to make decisions about closing schools due to COVID- 19 on their own, and will seek specific guidance from the state or local health officials to determine if, when, and for how long to take these steps.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and support. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
& Melissa Whitman