Interested candidates should apply online at https://olasjobs.org/ or in writing by June 1, 2021, to:
Interim Superintendent of Schools Hudson Falls Central School District P.O. Box 710
Hudson Falls, NY 12839-0710
DISTRICT JOB TITLE: Director of Athletics, Physical Education, Health, & Wellness
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- The Director of Athletics, Physical Education, Health, & Wellness must hold or be eligible for New York State Certification as a School District Leader and /or equivalent certification approved by the New York State Education Department.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience in education. Building-level or district-level leadership experience preferred.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Physical Education with teaching experience at the elementary and secondary levels is preferred.
- Coaching or athletic experience at the modified, junior varsity, and varsity levels is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of local leagues, Section II, and NYSPHSAA rules and regulations.
- Ability to supervise, coordinate professional needs of Athletics, PE, and Health Departments, including but not limited to hiring, induction, development, and evaluation.
- Dynamic leadership skills that support the District’s goals and instructional vision.
- Such alternatives to the above minimum qualifications as the Board of Education and the Superintendent find appropriate and acceptable will be considered.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Director of Athletics, Physical Education, Health, & Wellness, directed by the Superintendent of Schools and liaisons as needed with the Assistant Superintendent for Education and Accountability, is responsible for the supervision of all athletic programs and coaches, for the improvement of instruction in Physical Education and Health, and for the development and implementation of the District’s vision for school community wellness. In cooperation with the building principals, he/she is responsible for supervising all physical education and health teachers in the district.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Develops short- and long-term goals for the improvements of the Athletics programs in line with best practices, the highest standards, and the District’s Goals
- Supervises, and promotes in the community, the establishment and operation of a sound and competitive interscholastic athletic program for all schools in the District.
- Develops and oversees feeder programs leading to Modified, JV, and Varsity athletic programs, in conjunction with area non-school leagues (Rec, Travel, Etc.).
- Develops and submits an annual budget in line with Athletics program goals for the purpose of purchasing supplies and equipment for the district athletic program.
- Implements District policies as they pertain to interscholastic athletics.
- Leads the screening, selection, hiring, induction, and professional growth of Athletics staff members.
- Makes final recommendations concerning the assignment of coaches for all schools in the District.
- Supervises and evaluates all athletic coaches in the District in line with the District’s chosen evaluation tools.
- Represents the District at all league, conference, Section, and NYS meetings concerning athletics in the District.
- Coordinates the athletic schedule of schools in the District, as they pertain to facilities, transportation, officials, etc.
- Assumes responsibility for the coordination of all athletic competitions in the District.
- Assumes responsibility for security and ticket admissions at all athletic events.
- Coordinates with the B&G for the use of inside athletic facilities, the use of outside facilities, and district and community programs.
- Keeps abreast of relevant changes and developments in athletics and uses this knowledge for continuous improvement.
PE & HEALTH
- Develops short- and long-term goals for improvements of PE and Health programs in line with state standards, best practices, and District Goals.
- Assists with the screening, selection, hiring, induction, and professional growth of Physical Education and Health staff members.
- Assists the administration in planning building programs concerning Physical Education, Health, and Athletic facilities.
- Completes observations of physical education and health classes, and others as needed in exigent circumstances.
- Coordinates with building principals with regard to teacher observations.
- Calls and conducts PE, Health, and Athletic departmental meetings for the purpose of establishing and implementing District departmental policies.
- Determines the needs for equipment and supplies, with the help of building principals, for the purpose of establishing a budget to meet these needs.
- Evaluates equipment, prior to purchase, for use in the department.
- Establishes and maintains a yearly inventory system of equipment and supplies.
- Keeps abreast of relevant changes and developments in education uses this knowledge for continuous improvement.
- Chairs the District Wellness Committee
- Develops short- and long-term goals for the improvements of the District’s wellness efforts in line with best practices and the District’s Vision.
- Promotes physical activity, physical fitness, and a healthy lifestyle for our students district-wide, both in the classroom and in everyday life.
- Develop and maintain Board-approved Physical Education Plan for NYSED
- Ensure movement breaks are incorporated into long periods of inactivity in the classroom.
- Develop and enhance relationships with community partners in support of our wellness efforts and Wellness Policy.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Superintendent of Schools.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The Director of Athletics, Physical Education, Health, & Wellness will be employed on a twelve (12) month basis. Salary and benefits determined by HFAA contract and in conference with the Superintendent of Schools.
Regionally competitive salary range of $85,000-95,000, and benefits.
Performance of this position will be evaluated annually by the Superintendent of Schools in accordance with the provisions of the Board of Education Policy on Evaluation of Personnel and the HFAA contract.
The Director of Athletics, Physical Education, Health, & Wellness reports to the Superintendent of Schools and liaisons as necessary with the Assistant Superintendent for Education and Accountability.